Grandpa used to keep some of his hunting dogs out at our house. When I was about 6 , he brought out this Lemon Beagle. He called him “Lum”. I called him Friskie. I would sneak food to him all the time and Grandpa would get on to me for feeding the dog. He said that a fat dog wouldn’t hunt for food. He used to take him out hunting all the time. He could run rabbits all day long and I would tag along. We would walk all along the pastures behind Mom and Dad’s and let “Friskie” run along the sage brush or through the briar patches. We always got rabbits. I wanted Grandpa to give Friskie some rabbit, but Grandpa never would do it. He said he wanted the dogs to hunt the rabbits, rush them so he could shoot them and not have to worry about the dogs running off with the rabbits. He always feed the dogs when we got back to the house. He told me not to sneak food to the dogs when he left.
PS: I still snuck food to “Friskie” after Grandpa left!!!! I think Grandpa knew I did it anyway. (Dennis)